On the evening of May 21, local time, the Navy of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps stated that 31 vessels, including oil tankers, container ships, and other commercial vessels, had passed through the Strait of Hormuz over the previous 24 hours under the coordination and protection of the IRGC Navy.

In an interview on May 21, U.S. President Donald Trump also commented on the Strait of Hormuz. He said the strait is an international waterway and that the United States expects free passage. He added that Iran is “not currently charging transit fees.”

Trump further claimed that Iran is suffering “huge economic losses” due to the U.S. maritime blockade, and that without U.S. approval, “no vessel can pass through smoothly.”

The U.S. Central Command said on May 21 that since the maritime blockade of Iranian ports began, U.S. forces had forced 94 commercial vessels to change course and had struck four commercial vessels, causing them to lose power.

On the same day, Fatih Birol, Executive Director of the International Energy Agency, warned that the global oil market could enter a “danger zone” in July and August if supply does not improve. He noted that oil demand usually increases after the peak travel season begins in late June and early July. However, inventories in many countries continue to decline, while no new oil supply is entering the market from the Middle East.

Regarding U.S.-Iran negotiations, Iran’s Student News Agency reported in the early hours of May 22, local time, that with Pakistan acting as a mediator, exchanges of messages and texts between Iran and the United States are still continuing, with the goal of reaching a framework agreement.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on May 21 that talks between the United States and Iran had made some progress, but he could not guarantee that an agreement would be reached. He also stated that if a “good agreement” cannot be achieved, “everyone knows” what other options the United States has.

Speaking to the media at the White House on May 21, Trump said Iran must hand over its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. He added that once the United States obtains it, it will most likely be destroyed. In response to a reporter’s question, Trump said: “We will get that highly enriched uranium. We don’t need it, and we don’t want it. Once we get it, we will most likely destroy it. We will not allow them to keep it.” He also said that negotiations between the United States and Iran are ongoing, and the final outcome remains to be seen.

Earlier that day, Reuters cited Iranian sources as saying that Iran’s leadership had instructed that the country’s enriched uranium stockpile must not be transferred abroad. According to the report, senior Iranian officials believe that sending nuclear materials overseas would make Iran more vulnerable to future attacks by the United States and Israel.

On May 21, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said in a media interview that, at this stage, the focus of negotiations is to end wars on all fronts, including Lebanon. He said media reports concerning nuclear issues, including the debate over enriched uranium, are merely speculation and lack credibility. He added that accurate information about the negotiations would be released only by authorized officials and spokespersons of the negotiating team.

Promotional poster for China Vast Logistics Co., Ltd offering sea shipping from China to the USA and Canada, featuring discounts ($50 off orders over $5000, $10 off orders over $1000), with a colorful container ship illustration and instruction to message the poster for discounts